WARREN THROUGH TRUSS
1910 Logan 42N3000E0860001
WARREN WITH VERTICALS
1940 LeFlore 40N4580E1600004
1896 Seminole 6744 0850 X King Br.
1911 LeFlore 40E1720N4674002 Central States Br.
1911 LeFlore 40N4575E132000 Central States Br.
While the Warren through truss never competed in popularity with the Pratt and its many derivatives, a small number of the former type remain in Oklahoma. The five spans, however, represent a remarkable diversity: bridges with and without verticals, one with subdivided panels, and two double-intersection structures. Little documentation has surfaced on either the 150-foot Warren through span, fitted with vertical members and connected by pins, which may have been relocated to its present site on the Kiamichi River about 1940 (Figure 65), or the 86-foot rigid-connected standard Warren throughspan, dated in official records as 1910, that crosses a creek near Guthrie.
From an engineering and historical perspective the other Warren through trusses have a considerable degree of merit. Moved onto Salt Creek near Maud in 1948, the subdivided Warren through span dates from 1896, making it the state's oldest documented bridge (Figure 66). Further distinction comes from its builder, the King bridge Company of Cleveland, Ohio, one of the nation's first and most innovative manufacturers of iron and steel pins. This one seems to have been a railroad bridge, as indicated by its greater height and weight, and perhaps purchased from the Rock Island Line, which ran into the area. In respect to the double-intersection through trusses, now separated by nearly the entire length of LeFlore County, they once formed a part of the fifteen span, Lexington-Purcell Toll Bridge on the South Canadian River. The project must have ranked among the biggest ever undertaken by Indiana's Central States Bridge Company which constructed the bridge from angle bars and laced channel and riveted all connections. The state dismantled it in the 1930s and offered parts to the counties. In 1940 the Works Progress Administration erected one span on Eagle Creek near Octavia, and a private contractor put up another span south of Bokoshe. These structures in LeFlore County, approximately two hundred miles away from their original location, nevertheless retain the historical significance of that major bridge, privately financed and operated, which drew attention to the state and symbolized its progress in 1911 (Figure 7 and Figure 67).