The Roadway Design Division is responsible for project design
and plan development. The following summarizes the major duties
of the teams within the Design Division:
- The design teams operate as the focal point for the development
of roadway projects administered by ODOT, including the
preparation of plans, the preparation of special provisions,
the project schedule and coordination with other ODOT units
and outside agencies.
- The design teams perform most of the analyses for road
design, prepare reports and gain input from other Divisions.
- The design teams perform the necessary drafting work for
the preparation of in-house project plans.
- The design teams develop, in cooperation with Survey Division,
the project survey line and limits.
- The design teams are responsible for the design of all
roadway drainage design, including cross drainage structures
which are not classified as bridges.
- The design teams work with the Traffic Engineering Division
to determine the appropriate traffic control devices, pavement
marking, lighting and / or traffic signals.
- The design teams coordinate with utility and railroad
companies through the appropriate ODOT Divisions for proper
integration into road design plans.
In addition to the design teams, the following support units
are also within Roadway Design Division - Automation and Graphics Branch,
Pavement Design, Roadway Hydraulics, Roadside Development
Branch, Standard Drawings Sections, and Geometric Design Branch.